How-To: Create an At-Home Spa for Ultimate Relaxation
We all need a bit of me-time to relax, unwind, and enjoy a little pampering. You don’t have to miss out on the spa experience if you create your own at home. With a few simple tweaks, you can enjoy your very own personal spa for a bit of extra self-care. We’ve put together a list of ideas to help you relax and create a space that’ll have you feeling calm and serene.
To recreate the spa at home, you’ll need to set the mood. From finding the right space to supplies and lighting, here are some tips to get you started on your journey to total relaxation.
Set up your space
Begin by choosing where you want your at-home spa to be. It can be your master bathroom or just a spare room, wherever you can find peace and quiet. A room with a view is another great option to help you get some sunshine and enjoy a bit of nature as you unwind.
- Once you’ve chosen your space, add relaxing products like an essential oil diffuser, a bottle of bubble bath, a facial steamer, or fresh flowers/herbs.
- Choose scents that have a calming effect such as lavender, eucalyptus, and chamomile.
- A cup of hot tea is a great way to find tranquility. Gather your favorite blend, a cute kettle, and your favorite mug so you can sip your cares away.
- Look for ingredients to make your own DIY mask depending on your skin's needs.
- Organize your favorite goodies in a cute basket and keep them in your special space. This will make it easy to find everything you need so you can start relaxing right away next time.
Adjust the lighting
- Bright light won't feel as relaxing as dim light, so adjust the lights in the room for a soothing ambiance.
- Bring in some candles or a Himalayan salt lamp and turn off the overhead lights so you can bask in the illuminating glow.
- Lighting a scented candle before you hop in the shower or tub will make daily bathing more relaxing, even when you don’t have time for a full spa day.
Create a playlist
- Music has an incredible ability to calm the nerves, so make a custom playlist featuring some of your favorite chill tracks.
- Alternatively, you can find spa music or playlists that are specially made to help you find serenity.
- Add a Bluetooth speaker to your spa room so you can change tracks from your smartphone without interrupting you spa session.
Dress for the Occasion
- Find a fabulous robe that elicits feelings of calm. Plush cotton is super-soft, lightweight, and perfect for recreating an authentic spa experience.
- Wear a comfy pair of slippers that can easily be removed to keep your feet cushioned, your mood elevated, and your body ready for the next spa treatment.
- Invest in a quality pair of pajamas to slip into after the "spa." A matching two-piece set is a great choice, or opt for a nightgown so you can go from your robe to something just a freeing.
DIY Spa Treatments
Make sure you’re giving your hair, nails, face, and body the love they deserve. There’s a ton of (low-cost) options for DIY treatments available to help you design the perfect spa experience; look for recipes and suggestions that use safe, natural ingredients while sloughing off dry skin. Remember to bring nourishment back in by applying a moisturizing lotion after using any sort of scrub for the smoothest, happiest skin. Avoid applying scrubs to damaged or extremely dry skin.
Just like your face, your hair has specific needs that are unique to you. Be experimental and look for DIY hair masks that will help refresh and detoxify your hair-- a spa day is the perfect time to allow your hair to breathe and grow.
Spa Products to Add that Special Touch
After you’ve chosen a space, picked out some music, and planned your treatments, there are a few other things you can add to ensure that your spa is as tranquil as can be:
- Neck Pillow: Use a neck pillow to support healthy posture as you relax. You can choose a bath neck pillow for while you soak, or try a soft, scented pillow to cradle your neck while you let your treatments soak in.
- Gel Eye Mask: Soothe those dark under-eye circles with a cooling gel eye mask. These masks can reduce puffiness and help you feel calm.
- Jade Roller: A jade roller is a great product that can relax your facial muscles. Use this handy roller after you’ve rinsed all facial products from your skin. These handy beauty tools are inexpensive, and they can help reduce facial puffiness while promoting feelings of calm.
- Bath Salts: To provide additional relaxation, look for bath salts or sea salts in soothing scents. Now you'll soften your skin while taking in a gentle, calming fragrance.
- Facial Headbands: A headband will keep your hair out of your face when applying masks or bathing. Choose a headband made of soft material like a terry cloth or microfiber.
- Massagers: A foot massager is a luxe addition to your spa. This gadget will relax your feet and calves after a week of hard work. You can also find massagers for your neck and back for tenser muscles that need a hand.
- Candles / Incense Sticks: Scented candles and incense sticks will both create a soothing ambiance in your home spa. Don't forget an incense holder that will catch the “soot” from your incense and protect your counters. Some scent suggestions include patchouli, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and jasmine.
Include Your Family
Relaxing in your spa alone is great, but you can also enjoy a special spa day with the entire family. Here are some suggestions you can use to provide your family with the ultimate at-home spa experience:
- Make some delicious smoothies full of fruit, greens, and other goodies that are healthy and delicious.
- Buy your kids a comfy bathrobe and slippers they can wear on their special spa day.
- Look for fun bath accessories for kids like colorful bubble bath and bath toys to make the day special.
- Listen to relaxing music and teach your kids about breathing techniques and meditation.
- Spend some time together as a family after your spa day by finishing with your kid’s favorite movie or dinner.
Make it Romantic
You can enjoy a romantic getaway right in your own home with a couple’s spa day. Take a day off from work (or plan a weekend in) and invite your other half to join you. To create a romantic spa day, try some of these suggestions:
- If the tub is big enough, enjoy a long bubble bath together, put on a romantic playlist, and bring in the candles.
- Choose romantic scents for your spa day including rose or vanilla to help set the mood.
- Buy your partner a matching bathrobe so you can both stay comfy after you soak in the tub or take a steamy shower.
- Enjoy a few snacks together, like chocolate-covered strawberries, whipped cream, or a fresh fruit tray.
- If you’re experienced at massage, offer to give your partner a nice, long rubdown with natural, nourishing massage oil.
- Disconnect from the outside world and turn off your smartphones and TV. This is the time to reconnect and enjoy some peace and quiet as you both decompress.
Now that you have everything you need for a relaxing DIY spa day in the comfort of your own home, it’s time to get started. We hope you’re able to fully unwind and enjoy your time at home using these ideas.